The future perfect is a tense that expresses a certain action will be finished in the future and is most often used with a specification in time. Its form is will + present perfect OR to be going + present perfect.
Let’s take a look at some examples:
|I will have learned future perfect tense by the end of this course.||All of these have an action that will be accomplished (will have learned, will have been away etc.) and a certain condition of when and how it will be accomplished by (by the end of this course, by the end of the year etc.)
This means that you can use future perfect tense to clearly talk about your plans or events that will happen in the future and the condition by which it will happen.
|I am going to have learned future perfect tense by the end of this course.|
|By the end of the year, my son will have been away for three months.|
|How many words are you going to have learned by the time you finish studying this year?|
You can ask questions with the future perfect tense by using “will” for all the pronouns. For example: Will they have called? Will he have called?
You can add “not” after “will”. For example: Will he not have walked here? Will they not have attended the meeting?
You can abbreviate “will not” to “won’t”. You can even abbreviate “won’t have” as “won’t’ve”.
Let’s do some exercises with what we have learned already. Place the appropriate future perfect word in the gaps and don’t forget to use the words, “will”, “am”, “is”, “are” and “going to”: finish, arrive, eat, study, present, solve, read, ask, build, operate, explain, have.
- I _________ my homework by 7 pm tonight.
- He __________ the opportunity to work abroad after he finishes his course.
- They __________ by tomorrow.
- By the end of the day, we _____________ our report.
- He is _____________ hard if he wants to be successful.
- I ______________ you to please stop.
- I ______________ my book by the time you finished yours.
- He _____________ what’s going on.
- She _____________ all her problems by then.
- Will you ______________ dinner by the time I come home?
- By winter, we ____________ the house for 6 months.
- By next year, I ____________ my business for 10 years.